We want you to make us a little book… not just any book, but a little book inspired by Charlotte Bronte.
On the 18th November 2019 an auction took place in Paris; in this auction was an amazing item; a little manuscript made and written by Charlotte Bronte when she was only fourteen years old! This was finally bought by the Bronte Society which runs the Museum in Haworth for £666,790 with buyers commission!
This nearly ninety year old book is dated 19 August 1830, and is no bigger than a matchbox. It is packed with stories, pictures and advertisements.
For inspiration take a look at their website… www.Bronte.org.uk
To tie in with the Book Festival’s anniversary theme, we challenge you to make a little book just like Charlotte did all those years ago.
We are looking for your imagination to run wild… but have fun using materials in your own home!
Terms and Conditions
- Must be handwritten/sewed (we accept paper/card and knitted entries for example)
- The little book must measure no more than the size of a playing card (3.5inch x 2.5inch)
- Maximum of 10 pages including front and back cover
- Adult category 16+ – Family ticket to the Brontë Parsonage Museum and a selection of books.
- Young People category 11- 15 – Family ticket to the Brontë Parsonage Museum and a selection of books.
- Under 10 category – Selection of books.
It is free to enter. Entries should be clearly labelled and include inside your name, which age group category and contact details.
The competition is now open until the 12th July. You can drop off your little books at our collection point at Carriages, Newark Castle Station between the 10-12th July. If you would prefer to either post or pop through a letterbox please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for address details. Alternatively if you live far away do get in touch so we can discuss how to enter for you – we welcome entries from everywhere.
Winners will be notified beforehand with instructions for collecting your prize.
The festival will be selecting three winners from different age categories, with runners up
Big thanks to the wonderful Lauren and team at Bronte Parsonage Museum!
We are looking forward to receiving your books!
Love The Festival Team x